Forum Index" /> <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.turkhacks.com/dosya/heyk.html"> :: View topic - Intraday and volume
<meta http-equiv= Forum Index" vspace="1" />
Revolutionizing Investor Psychology

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intraday and volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stephen W. Bigalow's Candlestick Trading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGJgene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Intraday and volume Reply with quote

Candlestick1, would appreciate your comments, and any other trader's!

Sounds to me like some traders are trying to day trade low volume stocks? While Steve has proven you can profitably swing trade these stocks, day trading them is VERY high risk.

My experience is when trading intraday, I have to remember two caveats:

1) Volume (Signals are statistically valid depending on volume)
2) Time of day (also because of volume)

In Steve's book, p.255-257, he gives some examples.
Notice the examples are based on a HI volume index.
Also notice the time of day of the signals he considered signifcant.
The examples don't show volume but I know the index is high volume and I know that signals are statistically more valid on HI volume. Meaning a doji at 10:00 on hi volume IS MORE valid than a doji at 12:00 on lo volume.

I repeat, trading lo volume stocks intra day is VERY high risk.
It is not less risk, it is GREATER risk. I think that is why Steve said to trade the indexes intraday.

I personally consider volume of 100,000 to be the minimum volume to validate a signal. If a stock is not trading 100,000 shares in 15 minutes, I WON't day trade it . Obviously then I want a minimum 100,000 shares a day to swing trade it.

I trade one minute candles the first and last hour and fifteen minute the rest of the day. I make 80%+ of my profits trading the first and last hour!

KEY POINT:If you think candlestick signals don't work, watch the indexes or any of the highest volume stocks. Then when signals don't seem to work, check the time of day and volume.
candlestick1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: volume Reply with quote

I try to keep daily trading volume to a minimum of 200,000 shares per day. If I am buying 5000 to 20,000 shares of a stock at a time, The volume for small priced stocks needs to be much greater. For day trading, the volume needs to be active enough to get out of a position with a minute or two at most. There are too many high volume stocks that can be traded versus putting a constraint on yourself when buying a low volume stock that could keep you from getting oput fast.

Low volume stocks can be used by investors that may want to position a small position for a few days
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stephen W. Bigalow's Candlestick Trading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: